No Deal Brexit Q&As

  • This Q&A is designed to provide simple, straight forward understanding of how a “No Deal” Brexit on 31st October will impact on visitors to the UK and UK nationals travelling overseas. It is designed so that businesses can provide answers to some of the most common questions that their customers may ask regarding how a No Deal Brexit will impact on their travel plans.

    It should be noted that there are still numerous uncertainties and that the information in this document could change so it is important to monitor the Government websites that provide information for people travelling between the EU and the UK post Brexit.

    See the government's advice on preparing for a no deal brexit if you work in tourism.

    See the Brexit seminars that are available

  • 1. Transport

    “Will my travel between the UK and the EU be disrupted if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31st October 2019?”


    Some flights between the UK and the EU will be grounded if the UK crashes out of the EU

    The UK leaving the EU on the 31st of Oct without a deal will not affect flights to and from the EU. The UK Government and the European Commission have reached an agreement that ensures that flights between the UK and the EU will not be disrupted in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal. This regulation will apply until the end of March 2020 but may replaced by a long-term arrangement before then.


    It’s expected that Coach and Rail travel between the UK and Europe will also be largely unaffected if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

    Eurostar and Eurotunnel Le Shuttle services between the UK and the EU will not be affected by a No Deal Brexit.

    For Coaches and buses, regular scheduled services to EU countries will continue under the provisions of a new EU law which will apply until at least 31 December 2019, while occasional services (ie., coach tours) into EU countries will continue under the Interbus agreement to which the EU, the UK and a number of other countries will be signatories to, when the UK leaves the EU.

    However, UK operators will not be able to run scheduled or occasional services through the EU to some other non-EU countries such as Switzerland, Monaco and Andorra.

  • 2. Visas and Passports

    “Will I need a special visa to travel to the UK after Brexit?”

    If the UK leaves without a deal, visitors will need visas to travel between the UK and the EU

    There will be no requirement to for visas for UK nationals going to Europe or EU nationals coming to the UK on holiday provided that their stay is no longer than 90 days within a 180 day period and that their passport is valid for at least six months at the time of entry.

    EU nationals coming to the UK will still be able to use the e-passport gates to enter the UK rather than having to present themselves at an immigration desk and they will still be able to travel to the UK using their National Identity Card rather than a full passport until at least 31 December 2020. However, it should be noted that the UK Govt intends to require all EU nationals to use a passport to enter the UK in the longerterm. UK Visitors to the EU will no longer be able to use the EU channel at ports of entry but some EU destinations are making provisions for UK only channels in order to speed-up processing.

    Travelling to and from the “Common Travel Area”
    The Common Travel Area (CTA) comprises the UK, Ireland and the Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man. The UK leaving the EU will have no impact on any travel requirements within this area by CTA nationals.

  • 3. Drivers Licenses and Vehicle Insurance

    “Can I use my EU driving license to hire a car in the UK?”

    If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31st October 2019, the mutual recognition of drivers’ licenses will end.

    While the UK will still recognise EU driving licenses for EU nationals driving or hiring a car in the UK, UK nationals travelling to the EU will need to check the individual driving license requirements of each country they are visiting in the EU. For most countries, UK nationals will be able to use their UK license rather than having to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) provided that the length of their stay is under 90 days. However, some countries such as France, Italy and the Netherlands will require all UK nationals to have an IPD from 1 November 2019 if the UK leaves without a deal.

    Therefore, it is recommended that UK nationals travelling to the EU post Brexit drivers have the added security of an IDP.

    Visitors to the UK from Ireland (and UK visitors to Ireland) will not need an IDP under any circumstances.

    In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, both UK nationals taking a vehicle to Europe and EU nationals bringing a vehicle to the UK will need a Green Card as evidence that they are insured.

  • 4. Travel Insurance

    “What sort of Travel Insurance do I need to come to the UK?”

    UK and EU nationals are currently entitled to a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which entitles you to state-provided medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident while on holiday in any EU country.

    If the UK leaves the EU without a deal EHIC cards held by UK nationals will no longer be valid in the EU countries. The UK government is seeking an agreement with the EU on reciprocal healthcare arrangements but this is not yet in place.

    The advice therefore is that people travelling between the UK and EU after 31st October 2019 should buy travel insurance that includes healthcare in the same way that they would if visiting any other country. Proof of healthcare provision may be requested at the point of entry to the EU or when seeking medical treatment.

  • 5. Roaming Charges

    “Will it cost me more to use my mobile phone while I’m in the UK?”

    At the moment, mobile phone companies are required to charge EU nationals the same price for calls and texts regardless of where they are within the EU.

    When the UK leaves the EU, mobile phone companies are no longer bound by this requirement and could reintroduce roaming charges. While some companies have stated that they currently have no plans to reintroduce roaming charges, there is nothing to prevent these charges reoccurring.

  • 6. Duty Free Goods and Customs Charges

    “How much British beer or gin can I take back home?”

    At the moment there are no duty or customs charges on products purchased by EU visitors to the UK or UK visitors to the EU.

    If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, then duty-free allowances will be reintroduced for items such as alcohol and tobacco while customs charges with be reintroduced for goods purchased that are over a certain value.

    That means that UK residents returning from the EU will be allowed to bring in one litre of spirits or two litres of sparkling wine, sherry or port; four litres of still wine; and 16 litres of beer and up to 200 cigarettes or 250g or tobacco. In addition, UK nationals can bring in other goods worth up to £390 when they return from the EU.

    The alcohol allowances for EU visitors to the UK returning home will be the same, however some EU countries allow 200 cigarettes while other only allow 40 cigarettes The value of goods that EU nationals can take back home will be 430 euros.

  • 7. Carrying Banned Goods

    “Will I be able to take British produce back to the EU?”

    The EU is treated as one large biosecurity area meaning that most animal or vegetable products can be freely carried from one country to another.

    However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal the UK and the EU will become separate biosecurity areas, meaning that carrying most animal and vegetable products such as ham and cheese across the border will be prohibited. While there are certain exemptions for baby food or food that is needed for medical reasons.

  • 8. Passports for Pets

    “Will I be able to bring my dog with me when I come to the UK?"

    Passports for Pets is a scheme whereby registered dogs, cats and ferrets are able to travel between the UK and mainland Europe. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal this scheme will end and the process for taking a pet to the EU will depend on how the EU classifies animal coming from the UK.

    There are three options:

    Listed - Part 1
    If the EU classifies the UK as a Part 1 listed country, the rules on pet travel will be essentially the same as they are today with the existing timescales and health preparations in place being virtually unchanged.

    Listed - Part 2
    If the EU classifies the UK as a Part 2 listed country, pet owners will have to fulfil some extra requirements in order to take pets into the EU.

    If the EU classifies the UK as an unlisted country, owners who wish to take their pets to the EU will need to discuss what requirements they need to fulfil with an Official Veterinarian at least four months prior to their desired travel date.

    Given the uncertainty of the UK’s future classification, Government advice at the moment is that there could be a four month delay in being able to take pets to the EU while the UK’s classification is determined and owners fulfil the requirements of the new classification.

  • For UK Nationals travelling to the EU

We use cookies to operate this website and to improve its usability. Full details of what cookies are, why we use them and how you can manage them can be found by reading our Privacy & Cookies page. Please note that by using this site you are consenting to the use of cookies.